- Hebrews 12:12-29
- Matthew 20:1-16
- Genesis 25
- Philippians 3:12
Six ideas from Hebrews 12
- Fix your eyes and mind on God
- Let your light shine in tough times
- Resist temptation to trade our hope for worldly vices
- Reflect on the Gospel
- Anchor on things that are unshakable
- God is a consuming fire
Eyes and mind on God
- Looking to Jesus for hope and strength, instead of the situation at hand. With our strength and hope in Jesus our crippled bodies will receive healing.
- Don’t let bitterness creep in based on other’s circumstances.
Let your light shine in tough times
- Being peaceful with everyone starts with love for one another in the church. That love will reveal the love of Christ to the world.
Resist temptation to trade our hope for worldly vices
- What would you be willing to trade for to give up the hope and reward we have in Jesus?
- Often we focus on obtaining worldly blessing instead of pursuing what God has planned for us.
Reflect on the Gospel
- Don’t give in to the temptation to go back to former ways (the law)
- We cannot satisfy the requirements of the former ways.
Anchor on things that are unshakable
- God is going to cause everything to be shaken and become unstable and insecure.
- Perfection is in Christ. We won’t be able to obtain it completely while on Earth, but should press on to get closer to it
God is a consuming fire
- As things are shaken, they are purified by God’s consuming fire.